(Almost) owner from Belgium

Welcome to the UAZ Owners forums. Please read the rules and introduce yourself.
niels
Site Admin

Hi, my name is Niels and I live in Belgium.

I've been a lover of cars and motorbikes all my life and I always had a knack for the less common types. Because my dream cars were not in my budget (I would donate a kidney in exchange for e.g. a Tatra 87) I settled for a Citroën 2CV. :lol: I had a lot of fun with it but it has been sitting idle under the carport for about 10 years now and it needs a lot of love to get it back on the road. We had a couple of interesting years driving around in my wife's Lada Niva, but we did sell it when our firstborn arrived (due to safety concers). Besides cars, I've also been drooling over Ural motorbikes (especially the limited edition of 2009: Ural Red October) but I've never pulled the trigger on buying one and I stayed loyal to my BMW and Honda bikes.

But... this is a UAZ forum, isn't it? So more to the point: last year I did found out that UAZ cars were available for order in Belgium and after showing some pictures to my wife we got a bit excited. COVID-19 and all the limitations that came with it made us yearn for adventure. So we hatched a plan and decided to buy a UAZ 452 to convert to a camping van and start travelling Europe together with our 3 children. After playing with the car configurator we settled on the orange Expedition version (because there are enough dull white/grey/black cars on the roads already) and ordered it without overthinking it too much.
Almost 8 months later and we got word from the dealer that our car had left the Czech importer and it arrived a few days later at their site.
UAZ 452 ready for transport
The wait is almost over... In about three weeks we'll be able to pick up our orange beast and start converting it into a family camping vehicle. We're planning on creating a sleeping space for two children in the boot (cargo space) with a slide out kitchen underneath and a big rooftop tent for us (and our smallest child). A few months back we managed to get our hands on a second hand rooftop tent and a modified roof rack that goes with it. I've been cleaning up the roofrack and I'm further enhancing it so we can move the tent a bit more to the front to fit rooftop storage chest behind it.
Ocean-Cross Gobi 220 on UAZ 452
Ocean-Cross Gobi 220 on UAZ 452
Ocean-Cross Gobi 220 on Ford Transit
Ocean-Cross Gobi 220 on Ford Transit
I'm so excited to start our adventures...

- Niels
These users thanked the author niels for the post:
UAZ-Boris (Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:57 am)